Thursday, January 19, 2006

Interpreter

Yesterday started out slowly - I bought a new pair of pants and dropped off my laundry. The pants seem to be of a different cut that is rather short in the legs... My day then picked up nicely, when I found a map of Yunnan, dumplings for lunch, and a Coors Light (so I could send the Chinese Silver Bullet label to Riopelle) while looking over people flying kites in a large square in Kunming. It is amazing how high they can get their kites - maybe more than 600 feet (I am guessing).

I then got a phone call from a connection at The Nature Conservancy who offered help with finding an interpreter. Quite promising, but I still decided I needed to look around town for one, so as not to have all my eggs in one basket. I stopped by a travel agent in town and explained that I was heading up to the NuJiang valley and wanted an interpreter to accompany me and help me in my attempts to get to know locals and make maps with them. After explaining all this, the travel agent simply said, "I'd like to go." So it is settled, and Yang Shu and I are to head out of Kunming in three days or so. I am not sure how prepared she is, but we have time, and will meet today to discuss the plan and what to expect. It will also be interesting to have a woman's perspective as a translator.

Later in the evening, after enjoying a hamburger (sometimes a break from Chinese food is needed) I met a woman who works for a company that designs and oversees construction of dams. They are the company that has designed the 13 dams for the NuJiang, four of which have been approved, and may have been started - I am unsure. It was interesting to talk with her about energy and environment, although the thought that there could be 13 dams makes me rather sad.

Finally, before turning in I had a good chat with the German guy staying in my dorm about his bicycle trip from Beijing to Bangkok. Once he completes this he will head to Addis to bike from there to Cape Town. A trip that interests me very much.

All in all a very good day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rog said...

What was that German guy like in terms of age, profession, and world outlook? Sorry if that's a bit loaded.

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home