Monday, November 28, 2005

Vikos

Some photos of the Vikos Gorge where I have spent the past week hiking between the small towns that sit at its edges. The weather was the major event while I was there: the first few days were rainy, then it got sunny but incredibly cold, and finally I awoke to a foot of snow - and then hiked through it. I wished that I had a sled or skis for the descent into the canyon (some 500+ meters). The photos are in reverse chronological order.



Snow in Papigo. I took this photo as I set out to hike back through the gorge to Monodendri. The bottom of the canyon was also snowy but a whole lot warmer, which meant that the snow was sleet and raining down from trees onto my head in large clumps. I was thankful to return to a hotel, fire, and hot chocolate in Monodendri.



The Vikos Gorge from the viewpoint in the town of Vikos. The town is actually like fifteen buildings, one restaurant and two hotels. When I opened the door to my hotel room I discovered the window was wide open and it was freezing. But, with a couple of blankets and the heater on (until the power in Vikos went out) I was fine.



My major wildlife find from the day I hiked from Monodendri to Papigo through the bottom of the Vikos Gorge.



The viewpoint looking out over the Vikos Gorge, roughly 7km from Monodendri.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great photos, Scott.

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on, Scott, who REALLY can abide by the "one beer a week" rule? Stop kidding yourself.

p.s. Did you name the cute little nemotoad?

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nemAtoad, sorry

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you ever fallen in love during your trip so far? Just curious! Anyone come close?

9:39 PM  
Blogger Scott Warren said...

No love on this trip (and how does someone come close to falling in love? In my book it's all or nothing). I now understand more completely what Paul Simon meant when he said: "Home: where my love-life's waiting silently for me." I don't have a love-life at home but at least I speak the same language as everyone else....

1:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home