Monday, November 14, 2005

Mt. Olympus

On Nov. 13 I hiked Mt. Olympus. It is 2918 meters (9573 ft.)and I started hiking from 300 meters (984 ft.). It is a great hike, which starts in Litohoro and then follows a beautiful gorge for a while before going up a few ridges to the summit. Here are some photos:



It's always good to hike with a friend.



Summit.



Sunrise on the approach.


Some thoughts I had while climbing:

Mountains, rivers, canyons: they are not conquered, beaten, or owned. Thay are joined. They give their best and all they ask is that you do the same so that for one moment you can join them. When you meet them and their challenge you are the better for it. Physically, mentally, spiritually.

On top of Mt. Olympus I made an offering. First to Greece and the Greek Gods who make Mt. Olympus home. An offering of thanks for the weather, the mountain, the challenge, and the insiration of generations. An offering recognizing that I was permitted to be in the home of the Gods for an afternoon. Then not to Gods, but to real people who, in their love of adventure, nature, and the pursuit of perfection have taught, inspired, and shaped me. To Mark, to Paco, to Sylvia. On the mountain, in the challenge, they are there. The blue of the sky, the chirp of the birds, the silence of the snow. In them I find those souls, that inspiration. I am filled with their presence and their love. In these moments I join them. I join the mountain. I love.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dasher said...

So really, be honest. When you got to the top of the mountain and saw the gods, do they really all where white togas? Is Aphrodite really as hot as they day she is or is it all hype?

10:45 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That looks amazing! I think you had most perfect thoughts during your adventure. 'Mountain Life'

7:57 PM  
Blogger Rog said...

Sounds like you were either a) stoned, or b) brainwashed by some crazy pinko liberal arts college... I'm just left wondering which... ;)

2:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home