Saturday, October 22, 2005

Role(s)

I had a great talk with a good chunk of my family today. It is amazing that you can be in touch over such great distances. It is also interesting how much I look forward to those phone calls. As my sister mentioned, when you are out alone you have a lot of time to think...

In Ethiopia, more so than South Africa, and much more so than Namibia, people approach you begging, asking for money, selling things, trying to entice you to become one of their friends. It is much like Cuba in that sense. It is from those experiences that I have been thinking...this may be boring to some (no stories here of muggings, scorpions, or lions) but still worth saying.

One of the interesting things about travel is that, among other unknowns, a traveler is relatively unaware of the social norms for expressing gratitude. Take tipping. There are times and places at home when you tip. We all know these and we know how much to tip. A lot of times we do so without even thinking. I, however, am unaware of the norms for tipping taxis, even at home. I think that I have been in two taxis in my life in Colorado. In a foreign country I have even less of a clue. This is further complicated by the relative value of currencies. Is 10 birr a huge tip or a tiny tip?

Bigger than these struggles to know the correct action are the impacts of that action, whether it is "correct" or not. A tip can raise all sorts of other questions and issues. Does a high tip shift expectations and change the manner in which you are served and treated? Does it create an environment where someone will only help or do a good job if they expect a tip? Does it make people falsely friendly because their motive is to do a kind deed and extract a tip from you? Does it foster the view that tourists are money factories?

Perhaps these questions are extreme, but in another sense, they are very real and raise questions about tourism and the impact and role of a tourist. Sure, we all enjoy seeing new places, people, and traditions. In some ways it enlightens and enriches our own homes and traditions. But, when does our presence act as a positive force and when is it a negative force? There is a lot of talk about "responsible tourism" and I am inclined to think that when there are large gaps in culture and income tourism is more of a negative force (despite the money that it may bring into an economy). I feel this way perhaps more about individual travelers and "backpackers" than large managed groups or people who pay for thoughtful, experienced guides.

I am certain of none of this, except that I am one of those independent travelers, one of those "backpackers." My cultural background is far from that of an Ethiopian, and my economic background even farther. I question my impact on this society, on this neighborhood where I am staying. I hope that my material wealth and my "differentness" (not to mention my tips - high or low) doesn't foster more begging, robbery, sloppy or half-hearted work, rudeness or anger. It isn't as easy as just hoping, but takes care and thought. I don't give to people begging when I am only approached because I am a foreigner. I don't give to the beggar who grabs my wrist and won't let go until I forcefully twist it away from him because he expects me, as a foreigner, to give him money. I will give if someone can't work, or if the target everyone in their begging. I also do tip - and buy people coffee and a soda when we sit down to talk. But that is only a start, and has implications of its own. How, when I am trekking along a canyon do I shape how future trekkers are treated, how tourists are viewed, and how the local economies I come through react and are shaped?

1 Comments:

Blogger Rog said...

Your liberal arts education has made you overanalyze your situation to the point of diminishing returns. Just be yourself (good) and your footprint will be a positive one no matter where your travels take you. Just remember that what really counts are the things that you do, not say.

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home