Monday, October 10, 2005

Fishing+




Perhaps it is obvious why I never catch anything when I am fishing.

There are no pictures of Blyde River Canyon available because I took them on my camera's memory and not on my memory stick and I sent the transfer cords home. In any event, the canyon is different. There is a large uplift - like a plateau or mountains, and the Blyde River cuts down out of it, but only for a short distance. It is therefore something of a canyon, and something of the end of the escarpment.

In other news, the mountain biking has left my hands a little bruised from killer descents and my legs a bit tired. I also have rented a car to take me to remote areas around Blyde River Canyon and ultimately back to Cape Town where I leave for Ethiopia (nine days from now). I am looking forward to it, although I feel a bit unprepared - that applies both to Ethiopia and driving a stick shift to Cape Town.

While waiting in Nelspruit for the rental car company to pick me up a group of six or eight guys also pushed me into a corner and tried to rob me. The didn't have knives or guns, for which I am thankful, and they actually didn't manage to steal anything - my kicking and yelling was enough to fend them off (perhaps that's why my legs are sore). But, sadly, they did tear my UPS t-shirt. The sleeve is just about torn off. But I am just fine.

Now it is a few more days hiking and exploring in this area - hopefully I can take a tour of a timber mill here - a major business in the area.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home