Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Kuiseb Canyon?

I have picked up the book The Sheltering Desert, which is about two German geologists, Henno Martin and Hermann Korn, who lived in Kuiseb Canyon with their dog Otto for two years during WWII in order to avoid internment. It is written by Martin and has made me want to head to the area to see where they lived and how they lived. I have bought a few topo maps of the area where they lived and have been busy jumping between the book and the maps looking for the places Martin mentions. It is quite fun, although I know that it is not totally necessary as their first home is accessible with a short walk from a view point. Their planning and skills are impressive and their musings on man's nature interesting. The contrast between their life hunting and making shelter while spending nights listening to war reports and symphonies is striking.

In any event, I am now working out plans to get over to the canyon and a nearby campsite. Namibia, because of the very few people living in the south, is a hard place to get around. Areas like Kuiseb are so remote that the most direct way of getting there is to rent a car, which I'd prefer not to do because a car can be quite isolating. So, I'll try my hand at meeting people and working my way slowly down. If all else fails I may be driving a stick shift on the left hand side of the road (it's times like these that I miss the Mighty Merc).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, you have a swell blog here! Without doubt I will visit your site again ! I have a top health products reviewed site. It more or less treats a good deal that equates to top health products reviewed stuff. If you find the time, please come and check it out.

2:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home