Saturday, March 11, 2006

peru

Apologies for so little blogging - I have been at various times too tired to blog, too frustrated with internet quality, and having too much fun.

On March 2 I left China very sick, spent a night in Hong Kong (though I didn´t get out of the hotel) then went to Japan to see Alexa and Amelia for a few days. I was worried that with a fever I might get put into quarantine at the airport, but I got through. Japan was great, and a wonderful contrast to China. I don´t think I saw one person spit the entire time that I was there!

It was also great to see friends, and see Alexa´s life in Japan. She teaches English in a variety of schools, and we got to spend a day teaching at a middle school. I am not sure how much we were actually teaching and how much we were entertaining ourselves. During the lesson teaching ¨can you....?¨ I got asked if I could dance the robot (yes) Amelia got asked whether she could do a cartwheel (yes - impressive in a class room) and Alexa got asked whether she could draw a giraffe (no, though she tried hard).

Then, on the 8th I left for Tokyo again to fly to Peru. At the airport I discovered that I had no passport, which makes travel a little hard. United thought that I might be able to get out of Japan to the US (my flight connected in LA and Miami) but that I might be stuck there for days or weeks. I had visions of a few weeks with John Moore on the beach in Miami. After talking with the US embassy, I spent the night at the airport and went paid them a visit on the 9th, getting a temporary passport (good only one year). This has happily gotten me to Peru. I am still pretty bummed about losing the passport with all those cool stamps in it though.

Peru has been nice - speaking Spanish feels pretty natural, though I have almost said hello and thanks in both Japanese and Chinese to people. I am still feeling pretty dazed from jet lag, and have yet to really explore Arequipa, which is cloudy and cool.



The Mingyong Glacier, China.



Tiger Leaping Gorge, China.



Plum Blossoms outside Osaka Castle, Japan, with Amelia.



Golden Temple, Kyoto Japan.



Alexa´s middle school class.



A great barber and haircut.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lookin' good Warren! What the heck did that poor barber do with those golden locks?

1:38 PM  
Blogger Scott Warren said...

Feelin' good, anonymous.

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home