Monday, May 15, 2006

injured reserve

Here's an email I wrote to the Watson Office, explaining my current situation, should one be interested. I am, however, enjoying the symphony version of Queen's greatest hits in the internet cafe.


Watson Office,

I am not sure why I am writing you all this, I guess because I am frustrated. I have been having a great time in Peru, in large part because I bought a bike and have had fun using it to explore the Colca Canyon (as I wrote in my quarterly report). I have, since the beginning of the year, been having the best time imaginable.

Now, however, I have done something to my right knee, and whenever I ride my bike over 15km (sometimes even less) it starts to really hurt me, with the pain lasting for three or four days after.

As such, I have retreated to Arequipa to see a doctor, who told me, basically to try to take it easy for about a week, and take some arthritis medicine. I don't do well taking it easy, and I have tried this before. My knee hurt right before I went to Chile for a new visa, and I rested it for about a week, thinking it would improve. It hasn't.

I am frustrated by communicating the importance of being able to cycle to the doctor, the fine details of the injury, and the fact that it seems like nothing can be done. I don't know whether it is something genetic, my position on the bike, the angle of my feet on the pedals, the result of past crashes, or some muscular imbalance. The doctor isn't sure either. Perhaps this would be the same conclusion if I went to the doctor I know in the US from another knee injury (strangely, the other knee). Perhaps not. It is hard when you can't quite communicate what you want or feel and you have no idea about the skills and expertise of the doctor.

Whatever the case may be, I am feeling really little lost. I went from everything just right to being stuck in some sort of holding pattern. Any injury or illness would be hard, but especially an injury that keeps me from biking, which I love. This is a low spot.

I know that I can think of new things to do, and I can see some things in Peru without hiking and biking around. Peru is an amazingly rich country. That said, I want to be on my bike and in my boots in the Colca Canyon.

Where to go from here? To meet with the doctor and review my x-rays.

Thanks for listening as I figure all of this out. Perhaps a trip to Lima to see someone specializing in sports injuries is in order.

Hope all is well with you all,
Scott

1 Comments:

Blogger Zack said...

I like that letter. Also, my knees have been hurting periodically, and I'm terrified that I will have bad knees when I'm older; thereby rendering my incapable of running and......very fat.

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home