Tuesday, June 07, 2005

GEAR

After getting clobbered this weekend in a bike race in Denver (removed from the race by the referee just prior to being lapped), I am back preparing. From my current position, or rather my position at the back of the bike race on Sunday, it is pretty nice to be doing this canyon thing, because I know that humiliation on the bike is short lived. And so today I spent most of the day hemming and hawing over what sleeping bag is appropriate for five countries and a full year. It's funny to think of the few things that I am going to try and take with me, for there are things that I am going to want for hiking and trekking, and things like guidebooks that aren't suited for those activities. It's also funny to me to spend time thinking about 'trip stuff' because I sometimes feel like it is just stuff and who the hell cares, while I conversely think that if stuff breaks and isn't, say, warm enough, then it becomes a big deal. We'll see when the REI shipment comes in...

In other news, tomorrow may see the purchase of the plane ticket...

I almost forgot one of the more exciting finds of the day: soviet topo maps! Yes, they have them for Namibia, Ethiopia and China! First I love a good map. Second, for some reason I love communist things (note: this is different from the statement "I love communism" and should not be confused with it). Of course, it remains to be seen whether a russian map is a "good map." But, communism, the USSR, maps and canyons: what could be better?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home